Addis Ababa University Department of Management
Addis Ababa University Department of Management – Check Below:
The Department of Management is one of the oldest departments in AAU, established under the then College of Business Administration of Addis Ababa University. The Department is currently under the College of Business and Economics located on the former Faculty of Business and Economics campus. The Department is under the leadership of the College Dean, Dr. Fenta Mandefro.
The Department of Management has recently completed a major curriculum revision process on general management. Several circumstances impelled the need for an intense review of the existing programs, and resulted in changes to the curriculum that had essentially been unchanged for some years.
The main factor that led to the revision and development of the current program was an interest in providing a curriculum that would meet stakeholders’ needs. An additional factor was an expressed interest on the part of Universities and the government to maintain or increase enrollment on an aggregate basis. This naturally trickled down through the various universities’ organs and was reflected in this response.
With the implementation of the new Education Policy of the country, starting in the 2003/2004 academic year, a three year curriculum has been developed and is being offered to students who are admitted to universities after completing their preparatory programs. In the preparation of the curriculum, as per the instruction given by universities and the Ministry of Education, discussions were held with universities that train students in the field of management.
When the current management curriculum was designed, attempt was also made to incorporate suggestions from various stakeholders. Suggestions from these sources indicated that new courses emphasizing computer skills, human resource management knowledge, communication skills, and leadership skills would be desirable.
The rationale behind developing nationally standardized Management curriculum was thoroughly explained as follows.
Firstly, Management is a crucial element in economic growth of a country. It brings together the factors of production: money, machinery, men, methods, markets and material to enable the country to experience economic development. A country with enough capital, manpower and other natural resources can still be poor if it does not have competent managers to combine and coordinate the resources. In the words of Drucker “without management a country’s resources of production remain resources and never become products”.
Management is important for a country for many reasons. To begin with, our society depends on specialized institutions or organizations to provide us with goods and services. These organizations are guided by managers who allocate resources and have responsibility and authority to manufacture safe, to declare war or peace, to build cities, to keep the environment clean. Secondly, managers create jobs on the one hand and products and services on the other.
It is taking this into account that the present curriculum was designed. The contents of this curriculum have been determined on the basis of previously done curricula, a survey conducted for this purpose, bench marking and inputs gained from sources provided by the Ministry of Education on curriculum development ( especially, Bologna countries).
Among the lessons acquired through bench marking is the development of curriculum by using the Balanced Scorecard (BSC) Model developed by Kaplan and Norton (1996), and curriculum design based on the Association to Advance College Schools Business (AACSB) requirement.
The BSC addresses four value drivers of organizational performance which graduates are expected to manage in the future, namely:
- Financial Perspective
- Customer/Stakeholders Perspective
- Internal Process Perspective
- Learning and Growth (future) Perspective
Through its programs the department has the objective of producing:
- Professionals who are capable of planning, organizing, directing and controlling activities of private, public, non-government and government organizations;
- Professionals who can competently manage marketing, finance operations, human resource, materials, information resources, etc.;
- Professionals who are responsive and effective in working with and through others as well as capable of making and implementing decisions;
- Professionals capable of searching and developing opportunities as well as tackling problems; and
- Professionals who are able to face the challenges of today’s and tomorrow’s highly complex and competitive environment.
The Department is engaged in enabling students to acquire both theoretical knowledge and practical know-how pertinent to the management profession so that they will be competent nationally and internationally. It works towards helping students transfer employability skill in an ethical manner that can be mirrored through their cognitive ability, interpersonal skills, numeric skills and research skills.
The program prepares students to become professional managers capable of executing Human Resources Management, Information System Management, Marketing Management, Operations Management, Materials Management and Financial Management and other managerial functional areas. The program will:
- Equip students with a realistic overview of major principles and techniques of human resources management systems;
- Develop the students’ ability and skills to identify the sources of the information they need and how to utilize the information obtained efficiently;
- Introduce students to the development and operation of markets-local, national and international-for resources, goods and services;
- Provide students of management with a sound understanding of the concepts techniques, and applications of production and operations management;
- Equip students with entrepreneurship and ethical concepts; and
- Equip students with the methods and techniques of acquiring, utilizing, and issuing material resources.
The program is aimed at producing graduates that are equipped with adequate knowledge, skill and attitude towards the application of management concepts. Specifically, graduates of the Department are expected to be able to:
- Make rational decisions to solve organizational problems and manage conflicts;
- Take initiatives and bring about innovations;
- Be critical and independent thinkers;
- Analyze the organization as a total system and align with its environment;
- Search and develop opportunities as well as track problems, and face and respond to the challenges of today’s and tomorrow’s highly complex and competitive environment;
- Plan, organize, direct and control the activities of all types of organizations;
- Competently manage the marketing, human power, finance, operations, materials, information resources, etc. of organizations;
- Be responsive and effective in working with and through others by developing an understanding of common goals;
- Conduct research and consultancy services in management and related areas and offer training for those who need it;
- Understand the legal, social and ethical responsibilities associated with the management of all types of organization;
- Use information communication technology in managing organizational resources; and
- Use and maintain professional commitment required in the area.
The PhD Program in Management is very demanding and student selection is based on strict criteria. The Department Graduate Committee (DGC) determines the admission based on the following criteria:
- First Degree in Management or related functional areas (marketing management, human resources management, operations management, purchasing and supply chain management, or business administration) from a recognized university;
- Second Degree in Management or Business Administration (including MBA in Finance) or related function areas (marketing management, human resources management, operations management, or purchasing and supply chain management) from a recognized university;
- A minimum CGPA of 3.00;
- At least two years teaching experience at a university level after a second degree;
- Passing the entrance exam to be administered by the Department of Management or a minimum of 600 GMAT score (The test must be taken within the past five years);
- Evidence of English proficiency. For non-native English speakers or for those who have not possessed their degrees from Ethiopia, a TOEFL score obtained within the last two years or a document certifying that the medium of instruction of the universities they got their degrees from (both their first and second degrees) was English during their time of study; and
- Statement of Purpose (a statement of personal goals and research interests).
Interview with applicants who meet the above criteria may be conducted (during which they present their statement of purpose) to make a final admission decision.
The Program is designed to advance executive skills and knowledge, and therefore, the admissions process should ensure bringing together a broad group of highly qualified and motivated participants with significant management experience.
Accordingly, the applicants for the executive MBA program should
- Be 30 years or above;
- Possess management or relevant business management function areas related (supply chain management, marketing, human resources, accounting, finance, economics, statistics, or engineering) undergraduate residential degree from recognized/accredited Universities;
- Have a minimum of 10 years work experience in business organization, of which a minimum of 5 years is on managerial experience after the first degree;
- Achieve competitive score in the quantitative and language proficiency (communication) test prepared and administered by the Department of Management. (The admission test will be prepared in GMAT standards with general management question included).
Applicants must fulfill the first three criteria to be eligible to sit for the written test.
- Experience claimed to be managerial should clearly be described as such or evidenced by a title that unequivocally demonstrates that the experience is managerial,
- Decision on applications will be made based on the documents provided without requesting any clarification. It is the responsibility of every applicant to present documents that clear as per the requirement requested.
- The applicant should fill out and submit the Application Summary posted on the Department website.
- An applicant whose application or performance does not meet the criteria mentioned or did not fill the Application Summary shall be rejected at any point in the admission processes.
After a successful completion of their preparatory program, applicants should:
- Meet the requirements set by the Ministry of Education and the Senate Legislation of the University; and
- Pass the entrance examination set by the Department.
In order to be eligible for graduation with a “Bachelor of Arts Degree in Management,” students are required to:
- Do a total of 112 credit hours;
- Achieve a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average of 2.00 at graduation;
- Score a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average of 2.00 in core courses;
- Have no F, NG, and I in any course; and
- Comply with the regulations of the University
- Addis Ababa University AAU Student Portal Login
Addis Ababa University AAU Colleges and Institute
- Addis Ababa University Registration Date
- Addis Ababa University Graduation Requirements
- Addis Ababa University AAU Fees Structure
- Addis Ababa University Grading System
- Addis Ababa University Academic Calendar
- Addis Ababa University Examination
- Addis Ababa University Courses Offered
- Addis Ababa University AAU Contact Address
- Addis Ababa University Undergraduate Admissions
- Addis Ababa University AAU Admission Requirements
- Addis Ababa University Graduate Admissions
- Addis Ababa University Readmissions
- Addis Ababa University AAU International Students Admissions
- Addis Ababa University Undergraduate Application Form
- Addis Ababa University Postgraduate Application Form
- Addis Ababa University AAU Application Form
- Addis Ababa University AAU Campuses
- Addis Ababa University AAU Intake
- Addis Ababa University AAU distance education
- Addis Ababa University AAU distance and continuing education
- Addis Ababa University AAU entrance exam
Addis Ababa University AAU extension program registration
- Addis Ababa University AAU Gpa Calculator
- Addis Ababa University AAU history
- Addis Ababa University AAU Job Vacancies
- Addis Ababa University AAU Masters Program Registration
- Addis Ababa University AAU new student registration
- Addis Ababa University AAU Online Registration
- Addis Ababa University AAU Online Application
- Addis Ababa University AAU Online Exam Results
- Addis Ababa University AAU ranking in africa
- Addis Ababa University AAU Admission List
- Addis Ababa University AAU World Ranking
- Addis Ababa University AAU scholarship
- Addis Ababa University Accommodation and Hostels