AAU Department of Pharmacology and Clinical Pharmacy
AAU Department of Pharmacology and Clinical Pharmacy – Chck Below:
The former Department of Pharmacology which was established in 1978 and Department of Experiential Training are merged since May 2012 to form the new Department of Pharmacology and Clinical Pharmacy. The Department participates in patient-oriented undergraduate pharmacy program and runs graduate programs at MSC and PhD levels.
- To provide quality preclinical and clinical education in pharmacology, toxicology and clinical pharmacy for undergraduate and graduate students
- To educate and train basic scientists in pharmacology and toxicology and develop research-based new knowledge in the biomedical sciences
- To educate clinical scientists and pharmacy practitioners
- To serve in appropriate national, scientific and professional societies
- To provide information about existing and emerging drugs to health care workers and general community
- To ensure the provision of safe and optimal drug therapy outcomes in patients
- Provision of drug and poison information to health professionals and public
- Clinical pharmacy consult services
- Drug formulary development and involvement in therapeutic committees
- Providing educational trainings to pharmacists, physicians, and nursing staff
- Community outreach, including disease prevention and health promotion services
- Disease screening services to the community through health promotion campaigns
AAU Department of Pharmacology and Clinical Pharmacy Facilities
- Two equipped laboratories
- Laboratory animal breeding unit
- Skills laboratory for pharmacy practice
- Drug information center & poison desk
- MSC in Pharmacology
- MSC in Toxicology (to be re-vitalized)
- Pharm in Pharmacy Practice
- Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Pharmacy
- Postgraduate Diploma in Community Pharmacy
- Postgraduate Certificate in Clinical Pharmacy
- Postgraduate Certificate in Community Pharmacy
- PhD in Pharmacology
- PhD in Clinical Pharmacy (to be launched soon)
- PhD in Toxicology (to be launched soon)
MSC in Pharmacology
The curriculum for former Experimental Pharmacology program launched in 2005 has been reviewed and modularized as of 2010 with a new degree nomenclature “MSC in Pharmacology”. The major courses offered in Pharmacology, MSC program include molecular cell biology, molecular pharmacology & pharmacokinetics, chemotherapy & immunopharmacology, cardiovascular & renal pharmacology, autacoids & neuropharmacology, methods in experimental pharmacology, endocrine & gastrointestinal pharmacology, biostatistics, separation techniques and laboratory-based Master’s research thesis.
- To alleviate the shortage of instructors of pharmacology needed by institutions of higher learning;
- To strengthen the services of public institutions that are responsible for regulatory aspects of drugs;
- To strengthen the research capacity of pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries as well as other research institutes concerned with drug development studies, including modern and traditional drugs.
A graduate in MSC in Pharmacology should be able to:
- Teach pharmacology, toxicology and related subjects to undergraduate students in various universities and colleges;
- Screen newer drug molecules including herbal drugs for various pharmacological activities in animals;
- Carry out pharmacokinetic studies in animals and humans;
- Carry out toxicity studies of chemicals and drugs;
- Identify newer drug targets for the treatment of various diseases;
- Investigate new research findings that can expand knowledge and understanding of drugs of abuse;
- Monitor adverse drug reactions in patients.
To be admitted to MSC program in pharmacology, a candidate must have earned Bachelor of Pharmacy (B.Pharm) degree or BSc degree in biochemistry, physiology, pharmacology or toxicology or, MD, DVM degree from Addis Ababa University (AAU) or an equivalent institution. A candidate who satisfies the above admission requirement will be required to take and pass written and oral examination. Candidates, who have not taken undergraduate courses in pharmacology, toxicology, physiology and biochemistry offered at AAU, or the equivalents of these courses, will be required to take and pass examinations in these courses before being allowed to take specialty courses.
Master of Pharmacy Practice (M.Pharm)
The MSC program in Pharmacy practice launched in 2010 consists of several courses, including advanced therapeutics courses (i-iv), advanced pharmacy practice, pharmacoepidemiology, research methods in pharmacy and ethics, and biostatistics. It has also has an extended experiential program and Master’s research thesis. Students will be attached to the different hospital wards and pharmacy practice areas where they are afforded an opportunity to interact with patients and develop skills to provide pharmaceutical care.
- To alleviate the shortage of instructors of pharmacy practice/Clinical Pharmacy needed by institutions of higher learning;
- To strengthen the services of public institutions that is responsible for providing pharmaceutical care;
- To strengthen the research capacity of hospital pharmacy and community pharmacy and others in the area of clinical pharmacy.
AAU Department of Pharmacology and Clinical Pharmacy Graduate profiles
A graduate in Pharmacy Practice (M.Pharm) should be able to:
- Teach pharmacy practice and pharmacotherapy courses to undergraduate students of pharmacy;
- Supervise students of pharmacy in their pharmacy practice attachments in hospitals, community and other related areas of pharmacy practice;
- Undertake advanced pharmacy practice roles in hospitals, community and other related areas of pharmacy practice;
- Critically evaluate literature and use evidence-based principles to guide practice;
- Design and implement research in selected areas of pharmacy practice.
To be admitted to Pharmacy Practice, a candidate must have a bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy from a recognized institution of higher learning. A candidate is also required to take and pass written and oral entrance examinations when deemed necessary.
MSC in Toxicology
This program, launched in 2003, has been phased out after graduation of the first batch of students; however, it is expected to be re-vitalized soon.
PhD in Pharmacology
The PhD program was started as a sandwich program with the Swedish Uppsala University, in 2005/2006 and is currently housed totally in the department facility. It is on average a three-year full-time study consisting of seminars and/or courseworks and a doctoral dissertation. The program has four major research areas including neuropharmacology, cardiovascular pharmacology, molecular pharmacology and chemotherapeutic pharmacology. Candidates will be given a chance to choose research area based on their interest and thesis work in their MSC training.
- The objective of the PhD program is to satisfy the national demand for highly trained Pharmacologists at the PhD level who will shoulder various responsibilities.
A PhD Pharmacology graduate should be able to:
- Teach pharmacology and related subjects to undergraduate and postgraduate students in various universities and colleges;
- Identify, design and implement research projects independently or as a team;
- Identify newer drug targets for the treatment of various diseases;
- Develop lead molecules and potential drug candidates from a variety of sources and assess their activities using in vitro and in vivo models;
- Influence drug and/or health policies by consulting, advising and counseling concerned sector ministries, the pharmaceutical sector and the public at large;
- Administer programs and protocols related to his/her particular field of specialization to a wide range of clients;
- Positively influence society, and serve as an agent of change in general, and in matters related to health sciences in general and pharmacological sciences in particular.
- MSc degree or equivalent in Pharmacology or other biomedical or pharmaceutical sciences from a recognized institution of higher learning.
- Candidates must have completed their MSc degree through a thesis option program. Those completed through a non-thesis option must demonstrate their research abilities by producing at least one paper published in a peer-reviewed journal.
- Candidates with a non-pharmacology MSc degree are required to take relevant courses depending on their area of research from the MSc in Pharmacology Graduate Program.
- Honor graduates at B.Pharm, MD, or DVM are also eligible but need to complete the prescribed courses for the MSC Program.
- As the case may be, candidates need to pass a qualifying examination, consisting of written and oral exams, as well as presentation of a research proposal.
Workineh Shibeshi (PhD)
Chair, Department of Pharmacology & Clinical Pharmacy
School of Pharmacy
College of Health Sciences
New CHS Building, Second Floor
Room No: 5
Tel: + 251-118-697103
Mobile: + 251- 927-361143
- Addis Ababa University AAU Student Portal Login
Addis Ababa University AAU Colleges and Institute
- Addis Ababa University Registration Date
- Addis Ababa University Graduation Requirements
- Addis Ababa University AAU Fees Structure
- Addis Ababa University Grading System
- Addis Ababa University Academic Calendar
- Addis Ababa University Examination
- Addis Ababa University Courses Offered
- Addis Ababa University AAU Contact Address
- Addis Ababa University Undergraduate Admissions
- Addis Ababa University AAU Admission Requirements
- Addis Ababa University Graduate Admissions
- Addis Ababa University Readmissions
- Addis Ababa University AAU International Students Admissions
- Addis Ababa University Undergraduate Application Form
- Addis Ababa University Postgraduate Application Form
- Addis Ababa University AAU Application Form
- Addis Ababa University AAU Campuses
- Addis Ababa University AAU Intake
- Addis Ababa University AAU distance education
- Addis Ababa University AAU distance and continuing education
- Addis Ababa University AAU entrance exam
Addis Ababa University AAU extension program registration
- Addis Ababa University AAU Gpa Calculator
- Addis Ababa University AAU history
- Addis Ababa University AAU Job Vacancies
- Addis Ababa University AAU Masters Program Registration
- Addis Ababa University AAU new student registration
- Addis Ababa University AAU Online Registration
- Addis Ababa University AAU Online Application
- Addis Ababa University AAU Online Exam Results
- Addis Ababa University AAU ranking in africa
- Addis Ababa University AAU Admission List
- Addis Ababa University AAU World Ranking
- Addis Ababa University AAU scholarship
- Addis Ababa University Accommodation and Hostels