Haramaya University Public Administration & Development Management Department
Haramaya University Public Administration – Check Below:
The Department offers an interdisciplinary training program that combines theories and practices in the organization and management of the public sector as well as management of development programs and projects. The program intends to impart knowledge and skills in the areas of public and development management by offering various theoretical and practical courses on the concepts, principles, approaches of public policy formulation, implementation and evaluation; public finance management; human resource management, public service delivery; development management; new public management; research methodology; project planning and management; leadership and conflict management; and other related subfields in public administration discipline. The BA program in Public Administration and Development Management is intended primarily for those who are planning a career in the administration and management of public sector organizations and development processes.
Rationale for the Public Administration and Development Management Program
The program is geared towards the preparation of trained human resource with competency in terms of knowledge, skills and attitudes for the formulation, implementation and evaluation of public policies, development programs and projects.
Toward this end, the success of the reform programs going in Ethiopia heavily depends on building capacity of the civil servants who deal with the government and public at large. In order to revamp the whole system, the civil servants have to be molded. The country needs a well trained and development oriented bureaucratic machinery that can efficiently and effectively deliver government service fairly and transparently to the public. Therefore, an education and training program in the field of Public Administration and Development Management has become inevitable.
Objective of the Department of Public Administration and Development Management
The general objective of the Department of Public Administration and Development Management is to provide academic excellence (conceptual knowledge, analytical skills and practical experience) in the preparation of students for administrative positions as well as in research and consultancy activities in government, non-government agencies, and academic institutions and, to some extent, in business organizations.
Specific objectives of the program:
- to develop the analytical skills of students to understand how public administration functions;
- to equip students with the required skills, knowledge and attitudinal/behavioural competencies to enable them act ethically, effectively and efficiently in the administration of public sector organisations;
- to develop the critical and analytical skills which enable students to understand policy and program formulation, implementation, budgeting, resource allocation and evaluation;
- to prepare students for mid-level professional career that involves managing and administering human, material, financial and information resources of organisations at the various levels of governments and non-governmental organizations, and other agencies;
- to build the foundation for students who are interested in pursuing graduate study in public administration and other related programmes;
- to train mid-level professionals who must fill the professional gaps in all tiers of Ethiopia public sector.
- to provide knowledge and skills on how to run public institutions effectively and efficiently in the context of Ethiopia, where the state is one of the important factors that plays major roles in socio-economic and political development.