Haramaya University Information Technology Department
Haramaya University Information Technology Department – Check Below:
Background of the Department
Department of Information Technology is established in Haramaya University aimed to graduate students in high quality and make them ready to every area in the country.
It has been felt in different corners and levels during the previous years that there is an urgent need of offering another program that target towards the technology needs of organizations. Information Technology (IT) has been demanded by potential employers in the country. IT degrees arose because degree programs in computer science were not providing a sufficient number of graduates capable of fulfilling these (technology needs of organizations) very real needs. Computer science emphases the scientific principles and theories of computing and is lead to the development of new knowledge in computing fields. Whereas Information technology is a relatively new and rapidly growing field that started in response to practical, everyday needs of organizations.
Information Technology is a term that has two meanings. On one hand Information Technology (Information Communication Technologies) is a general term encompassing all of computing. On the other hand, IT is used in universities to indicate a subject area that meets the computing technology needs of organizations.
ICT or IT in Ethiopia is rooting in different aspects of governmental, non-governmental organization, private companies and also individual life. This has lead for the demand of skilled people that involve in the troubleshooting, administration, integration, customization, etc. Especially currently the government has felt that ICT is an enabler force for developmental activities. Thus, supporting this effort by producing sufficient manpower is necessary. BSc in Information Technology is a response to this necessity.
IT professionals have assumed the leading role in driving the evolution of information technology by being able to effectively construct new software to meet the need of the society.
The Department of Information Technology plays an active role in advancing the intellectual frontiers of information technology, creating new computer technology and applying that technology to meet the needs of today’s technological society.
Objectives of the department
- To produce high quality IT graduates with entrepreneur and problem solving mind set by providing to the students a broad knowledge and skill in information technology management and configuration and maintenance of ICT infrastructures.
- To produce graduates who possess the right combination of knowledge and practical skills to take care of an organization’s technology and infrastructure needs and people that needs it.
- To produce professionals that take responsibilities for selecting hardware and software products appropriate for an organization, integrating those products with organizational needs and infrastructure
- To produce graduates who will take the responsibility for installing, customizing and maintaining applications (network installation, network administration, Web site design, development of multimedia resources, and installation of communication components and oversight of email system) for the organization.
- To produce professionals to work in organizations implementing and managing automated information systems for different scientific, educational, commercial and other purposes.
- To produce graduates that plan and manage the technology life-cycle by which an organization’s technology is maintained, upgraded and replaced.
The Department offers a four years B. Sc. degree program in Information Technology.
Admission requirements would be similar to the general institutional requirements. That is, the student should complete preparatory level education and the entry point is determined accordingly by the Ministry of Education for the regular students whereas the admission criteria for distance and continuing education program are as per the University’s requirement.
- Student presentation
- Project work
- Home study (assignment)
- Question and answering
- Class work (group work)
- The major graduation requirements for Regular and CEP program include:
- Successful completion of all courses (242 ECTS);
- A Cumulative Grade Point Average (C.G.P.A) of at least 2.00;
- A Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of at least 2.00 in major courses;
- At least C grade in the Industrial Project courses;
- No grade of “F” in any of the courses.
- System Analyst
- Network or System Administrator
- Database Developer or Administrator
- Software Engineer
- EDP Manager
- Webmaster or Content Developer
- Application Developer
- Testing and Quality Assurance Specialist
- Teaching Faculty