Haramaya University Special Needs and Inclusive Education Department
Haramaya University Special Needs and Inclusive Education – Check Below:
- BACKGROUND OF DEPARTMENT
Department of special needs and inclusive education in Haramaya University was established in the year 2001 E.C. under the Collage of Education and Behavioral sciences. It is one of the pertinent departments of the university with the objectives of providing teaching on human mind and behavior, trainings, research and community services. The curriculum was designed in 2000E.C. After thoroughly conducting need assessment in various organizations across the country which was in opposition to respond to the human power needs of the country. Now the department had a degree curriculum program entitled Bachelor of Arts Degree in Special Needs and Inclusive Education and Masters of Arts Degree in Special Needs and Inclusive Education (MA SNIE). The Department falls under the Faculty of Education and Behavioral Sciences. Currently, the department runs one postgraduate program and one undergraduate program in Regular, and summer. 1. BACHELOR OF ARTS (BA) IN SPECIAL NEEDS AND INCLUSIVE EDUCATION 1.1. Goal and Objectives of the program 1.1.2. Goal of the Program The goal of the program is to produce high level professionals in the fields of Special Needs and Inclusive Education that would play a leading role in caring out research, teaching and community services. 1.1.3. Program objectives The objectives of the program are to produce qualified professionals who can:
- analyze critically the contemporary issues of special needs and inclusive education within the national and global contexts;
- teach responsibly in different higher institutions;
- advise policy makers on national educational problems and issues related to special needs and inclusive education;
- develop curriculum and instructional materials for different levels of educational institutions;
- evaluate the educational policy at national and international levels concerning special needs and inclusive education;
- design educational programs on the bases of human development, individual difference and diversity;
- undertake research and development projects on educational issues from the national and global perspectives;
- promote legal and policy issues and practice that supports high quality education in inclusive settings and improves outcomes for individuals with special needs;
- assess and identify students with special needs and render professional services at all levels of a community;
- use scientific-based methodology to research, evaluate and improve curriculum, instruction and interventions for students with special needs;
- undertake research and development project in the area of special needs and inclusive education; and
- Participate actively in awareness raising, capacity-building, and information dissemination activities undertaken in the area of special needs and inclusive education.
1.1.4. Specific Objectives
- To produce professionals who create awareness about special needs/individualdifferences and develop skills of identifying these needs to provide support and prevent possible exclusion of learners at risk.
- To produce professionals who work with school and local community, empower and encourage regular school teachers to use alternative and supportive teaching approaches and improve quality of learning.
- To provide professionals in education who can identify, and asses the needs, problems and potentials of different children with special needs and provide psychosocial and psycho educational interventions
- To produce resource persons to provide support to the mainstream teachers having learners with special needs in their classes.
- To facilitate the inclusion of children and youth with special needs into the mainstream schools with the appropriate attitude, skills and knowledge.
- To generate teachers who can construct and administer various intervention based assessment tools so as to confirm the existence of disability and its diverse nature
- To develop teachers who can assess the teaching, training, therapeutic and vocational needs of children and youth with special needs
- To provide teachers who can manage the problem behavior of children and youth with special needs
- To develop teachers who can render counseling services to the parents, caregivers teachers, etc. so as to prevent the exclusion of the children and youth with special needs
1.2. Graduate profiles At the end of the program, the graduate are expected to have the following profiles
- Conduct cutting-edge research in the field of special needs and inclusive education
- Carry out problem oriented and innovative projects
- Produce demand driven educational policies and programs in the area of special needs and inclusive education
- Critically evaluate contemporary educational policies and programs
- Render sound special needs educational services to community
- Provide advisory services to educational policy and decision makers in the area of special needs and inclusive education
- Lead educational institutions and organization at different levels
- Conduct teaching and training in higher educational institutions
- Develop high quality teaching and training materials
- Value diversity and individual differences in education and training
- Manage change in educational settings
- Adapt and accommodate sound educational philosophies and theories that commensurate individual difference
- Adapt and use screening and assessment tools
- Train and assist teachers in identification and assessment children’s development and learning
- Develop intervention packages including individual educational plan (IEP)
- Develop and guide early intervention programs in preschools and home
- Plan and implement rehabilitation programs for people with disabilities in various settings
- Serve as school counselor for students with special needs and their parents
- Serve as a graduate assistant and researcher at various higher education institutions
- Serve as a resource person in cluster schools and satellite schools
- Support students and regular school teachers in basic skills such as Braille, Sign Language and Mobility and Orientation
- Supervise school and cluster school activities on inclusive education
- Facilitate social and physical accessibility for all students
- Create access for education for children/students out of school
- Establish networking among stakeholders and mobilize resources
- Contribute towards the improvement of quality education for all learners
1.3. Degree Nomenclature Bachelor of Arts Degree in Special Needs and Inclusive Education 2. Master of Arts Degree in Special Needs and Inclusive Education 2.1. Objectives of the program
- analyze current issues and trends in special needs and inclusive education on a national and global level.
- promote legal and policy issues and practice that supports high quality education in inclusive settings and improves outcomes for individuals with disabilities
- assess and identify students with special needs and render professional back up support at all levels of a community.
- use scientific-based methodology to research, evaluate and improve curriculum, instruction and interventions for students with disabilities.
- undertake research and development project in the area of special needs and inclusive education, and
- participate actively in awareness raising, capacity-building, and information dissemination activities undertaken in the area of special needs and inclusive education.
2.2. Graduate Profile
- empower regular teachers to use alternative and supportive teaching approaches and hence improve quality of learning of all children
- conduct teaching and training at all levels with special emphasis given to inclusive education
- identify and assess the needs, problems and potentials of children with special needs and intervene accordingly
- facilitate and realize inclusive education at schools and local society
- render counseling and rehabilitation services for children with special needs and their parents/ caregivers and the local society at large
- design, manage and evaluate projects and educational programs related to special needs and inclusive education
- conduct problem solving research and development projects in the field of special needs and inclusive education
- design curriculum in the field of special needs and inclusive education and disability issues
- serve as special needs and inclusive education curriculum experts, educational advisors, and officers at various levels of the education system
- apply theories, concepts and principles of education to practices in special needs education
- collaborate with families, colleagues and the community to improve support programs and services for persons with special needs
- Adapt, modify, select and use appropriate assistive and adaptive technology and make use
of local resources to enrich students learning
- coordinate, manage and monitor special needs and inclusive education program at inclusive schools, resource centers and community based programs
- render consultancy and policy advisement services in the area of special needs and inclusive education and disability issues
- collect, organize and analyze data pertaining to disability for policy making, planning and implementing inclusive education, community based rehabilitation programs, and family based intervention programs
- prepare manuals for practitioners working with children with special educational needs in different settings
- organize and run workshops, seminars and other training programs in inclusive education and rehabilitation
- serve as a social worker in community in providing support for vulnerable and at- risk children and individuals with HIV/AIDS and other psychosocial crises
2.3.Admission Requirements The Master of Art in Special Needs and Inclusive Education program is designed for prospective teachers or a professional with education background who want to obtain advanced degree that enables them meet their individual needs and helps them ensure quality of special needs education practices in schools and other educational settings. Admission to the masters program of special needs education shall be carried out based on the guidelines and criteria set by school of graduate studies of Haramaya University. Nonetheless, the following criteria shall be considered in selecting candidates for the program:
- BA/ BEd in Special Needs Education or related
- BA in Psychology or related
- BA/BEd in General Education or related
- At least a CGPA of 2.00 in the undergraduate study
- Candidates will be selected on a competitive basis; and,
- Other things being equal, females and candidates with disability will be given priority.
2.4. Modes of Delivery and Duration The duration for the program shall normally take two-year full time regular study. When this program is offered through continuing education program (CEP) and summer, it will take 2 -3 years. .Regular program-2 years .CEP-3 years .Summer-4 summers 2.5. Graduation Requirements In order to graduate with MA degree in Special Needs and Inclusive Education, a student should fulfill all of the following requirements: 1. Take total credit hours of 36 (30 credit hours in the course work and 6 credit hours in the thesis work) 2. Obtain an overall cumulative GPA of not less than 3.00 3. Have no “F” “NG” & “I” grade in any of the prescribed course 4. Complete and successfully defend thesis work. 2.6. Degree Nomenclature: Masters of Arts Degree in Special Needs and Inclusive Education የአርትማስተርሰ ዲግሪ በልዩ ፍላጎትና አካቶ ትምህርት 2.7. Fee Government agency sponsored candidates are not required to pay tuition fees for course or research credit hours taken at Haramaya University since the sponsored agency pay the fee to the University. Private or NGO sponsored candidates are required to pay tuition fee per course credit hour to be taken at Haramaya University. They are also expected to solicit funds required to conduct their thesis research projects.