Haramaya University Gender and Development Studies Department
Haramaya University Gender and Development Studies – Check Below:
Department of Gender and Development
Haramaya University has been providing skilled labor forces to the country for more than six decades. To this end Haramaya University deeply involved in the national development in general and the rural development in particular, the University also committed to address the issue of national and international concern, gender equity and equality, and the role and contribution of women in the economic, social and political realms of the country.
Despite these efforts, the University recognized and acknowledged the efforts made in the area of gender and development, be it in training, research, extension and outreach is scant in the country. To fill this gap the University opened an undergraduate training program in Gender and Development, the first of its kind in the country at Bachelors level, in the 2001 E.C. academic year with the aim to train students to become competent and qualified professionals in the area of gender and development. The graduates of the program are expected to be employed in governmental or nongovernmental organizations to work as development agents both in urban and rural contexts to address gender concerns including equity and equal opportunity, affirmative action for the historically disadvantaged, promote and uphold women’s and men’s contribution in the social and economic development of the country, and work towards reducing the gender disparity in the political, economic, and social affairs.
Department of Gender and Development studies also finished all the necessary procedures to start MA in Gender and Development Studies in 2016/17 second semester academic calendar. The graduates of this program are going to be employed in the government and non -government organization and address the gender issues of the society. According to the result of the need assessment there is high demand of labor forces graduated by MA in Gender and Development studies. Due to the absence of an expert that graduate in MA in Gender and Development studies different governmental and nongovernmental offices hired graduates of related fields. This miss placement of the labor force result in less quality work accomplishment and wastage of resources. By putting the above mentioned gaps in to consideration the department of Gender and Development studies develop curriculum in consultation with different stakeholders.
Mission, Vision and Goals of the Programs
To see a program committed to academic and research excellence, transformation and promotion of gender equity and equality, improvement of the lives and livelihoods of men and women in Ethiopia and serving society with distinction.
The mission of Gender and Development program is to create and maintain a teaching/learning environment and research community which contributes to the development of gender equity (in all life spheres), and to women’s and men’s scholarship.
Program under the school (both post and undergraduate)
Gender and Development study has two programs, Gender and Development Studies in BA and Gender and Development Study in MA that approved by the Haramaya University Senate and will be started in 2016/17 second semester academic year. The department also can deliver the BA and MA program in extension and summer. In addition the department can arrange tailored made program to different offices up on request.
Admission requirements for all programs
Admission Requirements for BA program
To be eligible for admission to the program, a candidate must:
- Pass national examination after two years of preparatory program;
- Placement, within the University into the program shall be oncompetitive basis;
- Both sex shall be considered for admission; no gender differentiation; positive affirmative action towards female applicants will be there; and
- Graduates with diploma from recognized institutions in home science, health sciences, management, economics, cooperative, other social sciences graduates, natural resources, and all agricultural sciences shall be considered for admission as advance standing students.
Admission Requirements for MA program
To be eligible for admission to the program, a candidate must:
- Graduate with bachelor degree from recognized institutions in gender and development studies, sociology, social anthropology, law, rural development, management, economics, cooperative, agricultural sciences and other related fields.
- Meet the minimum requirement for admission to the post-graduate program by earning a Bachelor’s Degree (B.A/B.Sc.) in a relevant field with a minimum CGPA of 2.0.
- A passing score on the program entrance exam set by the department
- Placement, within the University into the programs shall be on a competitive basis;
- Both sexes shall be considered for admission; no gender differentiation; positive affirmative action towards female applicants will be honored;
- Candidates fulfilling the program entry requirements will be selected for admission on the basis of merit.
Haramaya University Gender and Development Studies Haramaya University Gender and Development StudiesHaramaya University Gender and Development Studies Graduation Requirements
Graduation Requirements for BA
- Minimum of 112 credit Hrs
- Take and successfully complete all courses of the program; no course replacement for other departments except course(s) exemption for advanced standing students on the basis of earlier course coverage.
- CGPA of 2.00 or better
- No “F” grade in any course taken
Haramaya University Gender and Development Studies Graduation Requirements for MA
Course Work Requirement
A candidate to be awarded a Master of Art Degree in Gender and Development Studies must: take 36 credit hours of course including a thesis in a full time or continuing education enrolment. He/ She must also have:
- A pass mark in each of the required courses (not D or F);
- Cumulative GPA of ≥ 3.00;
- Pass in his/her MA thesis defense; and
- Undergraduate courses or credits will not be transferred towards post-graduate course work.
Haramaya University Gender and Development Studies Thesis Requirement
A thesis is required in a partial fulfillment for the MA degree in Gender and Development Studies. Directions for the preparation of the thesis are according to the post-graduate guidelines of the university. These directions must strictly be observed. A final oral examination (public defense) of the thesis must be held when the thesis is completed and has been approved by the university Graduate Committee/ Research Council and provided that all other degree requirements have been met. The University Graduate Committee/ research council, following nomination by the student’s advisor appoints the examining committee. The form for nomination of the examining committee can be obtained from the university PG office, and must be submitted with the advisor’s and Graduate coordinator’s signatures, at least two months prior to the date on which the public thesis defense is scheduled.
Haramaya University Gender and Development Studies Graduate Profile
The graduates in Gender and Development will be able to:
i) Practice as a professional in gender equity and equality, and mainstream gender in development endeavors,
ii) Develop and implement development projects that will enhance gender equity and equality and social development,
iii) Device ways and means to promote and up hold the lives and livelihoods of women and men in rural and urban areas, and
iv) Carry out studies and research in the gender and development
v) Advocate for Ethiopian women to enjoy equal right in all spheres of life as men
Above all, the graduates will be knowledgeable and competent in the areas of gender equity and equality and development, equipped with the knowledge and skills to promote and uphold gender equity and equality, to accelerate development in rural and urban areas, to withstand challenges and problems and to grab opportunities for the betterment of the society in general and women in particular. The graduates will also be persons of higher imaginations and creativity, socially conscious, having professional ethics with a sense of responsibility to work towards national goals and development objectives.
Graduate Profile for MA
The appropriate mix of different courses and disciplines in gender and development program is designed to allow students with a wide range of knowledge in different topics such as gender, economics, human right and law, policy studies, development and globalization. Thus graduates upon the successful completion of the program are expected to have the capacity for analysis and synthesis, capacity to apply knowledge into practice. Generally graduates will have;
The Knowledge to:
- Understand and explain Gender and Development issues
- Analyze the dynamic interactions of cultural, social, political, economical and legal issues and work towards women’s empowerment and gender equality.
- Understand basic components of projects related to gender equality
- Understand the link between gender and major contemporary global issue
Haramaya University Gender and Development Studies Skill to:
- Mainstream gender into development planning, programming and policy implementation to achieve gender equality
- Apply basic Gender Analysis Methods to support individuals, family, community, organization to bring gender equality.
- Conduct Gender Auditing in organizations
- To undertake research on gender and development issues.
- To advocate for gender equality and change
- Participate in formulation, implementation and evaluation of public policies
- Prepare projects, implement and evaluate their effectiveness.
The value and ethics to:
- Strive to ensure equal access to resources and opportunities b/n men and women
- Promote the empowerment of women and gender equality.
- Promote human rights and human dignity.
- Promote respect and equality for all human beings regardless of sex, age or any other differences.
- Treat men and women equally
- Take deeper ownership of addressing development challenges
If we all stand up, Gender Inequality stand down!!!!