Haramaya University Economics Department
Haramaya University Economics Department – Check Below:
About department of economics
The department of economics is established in 2003 and more than 1000 students have, so far, graduated from the department in 7 batches since 2006.The department of economics currently teaches students at Bachelor level. It offers a 3 years Bachelor of Arts degree in economics. In addition, the department is working to open postgraduate program in the field of Energy Economics.
The aim of the program is to produce high level professionals in Economics that will benefit the country’s development endeavor (sustainable economic development). The students will be equipped with a solid knowledge of economic theory as applied to development issues, natural resources, and other socio-economic issues concerning the developing countries in particular and the globe in general. The program offers students a comprehensive basis for professional and academic careers and further education in any economics specializations, through courses and thesis work.
With all these, the prime and specific focuses of the program is:
- To better acquaint the students with better solid understanding of microeconomic theories, macroeconomic theories, and other economic issues for intelligent applications of economics in a way that improve the quality, relevance and output of undergraduates in economics in Ethiopia
- To enable the students undertake theoretical and applied researches relevant to the overall development strategy and vision of the country and address national problems of socio-economic roots
- To equip the students with the necessary methodologies in economics that enable them explain the economic phenomenon, undertake economic analysis and design economic policy
- To show students how economic science evolved, its present and future vision of the field
- To highlight the different applications of economic theories in various sectors and expose the students to the different sub-discipline of economics [labor economics, agricultural economics, health economics, financial economics, etc
- To make the students up-to-date with the dynamics of the field.