Haramaya University Computer Science Department
Haramaya University Computer Science Department – Check Below:
- Background of the Department
Department of Computer Science was started during the year 2003 with a student intake of 160, under Faculty of Business and Economics, Haramaya University. The Department has produced around 450 graduates until the year 2012. The Department has developed its infrastructure with 3 computer laboratories each containing 40 computers. The department is also offering CISCO training program as “CISCO Local Academy”. Presently, the department is under a new college called College of Computing and Informatics.
- Objectives of the department
- To provide education for the students with at most quality and thereby to cultivate confidence in the students to serve the country better
- Assisting Government’s policy of increasing trained manpower in the country, thereby reducing the shortage of trained manpower that are needed for different organizations
- Assisting the local community and institutions around in development wise
- Objective of the B.Sc. Program
The aim of this document is to provide a curriculum for a degree program that concentrates more on the scientific aspects in the field of Computing, and also to give the students a thorough understanding of the underlying concepts and principles pertaining to the areas in the field of Computer Science. By understanding these concepts, the students will have the ability to adapt to changes in what is a rapidly changing field. Significant emphasis is also placed on developing practical skills that will be applicable to working with computers in Ethiopia. In particular a number of courses dealing with developing skills applicable to working with emerging technologies related to the Internet; although Internet use is comparatively less in Ethiopia at the moment this situation will undoubtedly change in the future.
Educational aims of a computer science program
- To enable prospective graduates to acquire the necessary knowledge and skills to meet the growing needs of the country for trained man power in computer science.
- To produce a high quality graduate with an entrepreneurial and problem solving mind set
- To produce highly competent students who are able to practically apply their knowledge in the real world system.
- To cope up the program with international standards
- Admission Requirements
- The department will accept students with the exam scores set by the Ministry of Education as a minimum score to join public universities.
- Fulfilling the minimum scores of the Ministry and being assigned in the Faculty of Computing and Informatics doesn’t guarantee students to join the department. Usually the number of new students who require joining the department is by far greater than the department’s capacity. As a result, selection would be competitive which will be based on their entrance exam score and interest of choice as first preference to join the department.
- Degree Nomenclature
English: “Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) Degree in Computer Science”
Amharic: “Ye Science Bachelor Degree be Computer Science”
- Program learning outcomes
Program learning outcome specifies the expectation of the program at the end of educational process in the department of the computer science. This clearly state what our students able to perform at the end of successful completion of the course work. This mainly focuses on the achievable output unlike the intention described as part of the program aim.
- Knowledge and understanding of the essential facts, concepts, principles and theories related to computer science.
- Good knowledge of know how and understanding of essential facts, concepts, principles and theories related to computer science that can be used for planning, development, deployment and evaluation of computer related systems (Software, Hardware and Computer Human Interface).
- Good understanding by providing range of courses that will cultivate programming skills from the students, as a result of providing several conceptual input, relating to Data Structures, Algorithms, Ability to Study, Analyze, Design, and monitor the Engineering process of Software (from small to large), and concepts related to hardware (processor, memory, peripheral devices, etc.).
- Sound knowledge of the criteria and mechanisms where by computer systems can be critically evaluated and analyzed to determine the extent to which they meet the criteria defined for their current and future development.
- Acquisition of knowledge beyond the technical skills, like interpersonal communication skills – of how to present succinctly (orally and in written form), rational and reasoned arguments that address a given problem to be solved by computers; Team work – ability to work in groups, and dedication when working individually; Management Skills.
- Good understanding of the professional, moral and ethical issues involved in the exploitation of computer technology and the associated professional, ethical and legal practices.
- Knowledge and understanding of processes involved in the operation of a computer (Hardware and Software) and manual processes required in the development and deployment of computer related system.
- Study of advanced courses from basic and preliminary courses that will make the students to understand all dimensions of the field (computer science) thoroughly.
- Acquiring practical skills and knowledge in all dimensions of computer science field by being involved in several group/individual projects.
- Graduate Profile
The graduates of the program will be able to:
- Perform user requirements analysis for a range of computer systems
- Give clear, good quality verbal presentations on scientific topics
- Design, develop, test and maintain advanced and complex computer software
- Design, implement and administer computer networks
- Design, develop and maintain advanced web-sites
- Design, develop and administer database systems
- Have basic ideas and technologies to develop Compilers
- Have the knowledge and skills to act as research assistants or lecturers in higher education institutions
- Have the knowledge and innovative skills to plan, set up and run computer related businesses