Addis Ababa University Department of Clinical studeis
Addis Ababa University Department of Clinical studeis – Check Below:
Overview of clinical studies
Programs and admission requirements of clinical studies
To instill the idea of population medicine, new area of medicine, into learners in Ethiopia and the East Africa region as livestock/animal health problems are best addressed within the framework of the dynamics of health/illness in populations rather than individual animals. This modern approach is economically better-positioned and most applicable to combat livestock diseases and improve livestock productivity in the extensive livestock production system which is reflective of the situation in Ethiopia and sub-Saharan Africa.
- To offer specialized training in epidemiology and preventive veterinary medicine leading to a Master of Science degree in Veterinary Epidemiology that is based on modern concepts in population medicine and improves skills of veterinarians in handling complex disease problems and ensures that the most appropriate course of action is taken to improve the health status of animal populations;
- To provide young and mid-career veterinarians from African countries with up-to-date technical planning, management skill needed for research, teaching and specific development programs, animal health care delivery and production systems in the private sector;
- To strengthen the teaching activities and research capacities of the School of Veterinary Medicine of the Addis Ababa University and other institutions in Ethiopia.
Graduates in Veterinary Epidemiology would:
- be competent in the practice of Veterinary Epidemiology, which includes modern concepts of population medicine and disease control strategies in public and private sectors of animal health care delivery and production systems in the tropics;
- be equipped with the knowledge and skills in handling epidemiological data, technical planning and management of veterinary and public health research, teaching and development programs;
- have creativity, social consciousness, professional ethics, and a sense of responsibility to work towards national goals and development.
Program Duration (Course schedule)
The total duration of the program is 18 months. The first 8 months are devoted to module work offered at the College of Veterinary Medicine and Agriculture. The remaining 10 months will be allotted to research work and thesis write-up. Depending on the nature of the research topic, students will be attached to selected national and international veterinary and related institutions in Ethiopia.
The academic calendar of the graduate program of AAU shall apply to all the module and thesis work.
Candidates who meet the following requirements may be admitted to the program, subject to other Addis Ababa University wide requirements.
A candidate must be a holder of a recognized degree in Veterinary Medicine or human medicine and should fulfill the requirements of Graduate Council for admission.
- Preferably two years of work experience after obtaining the Veterinary Degree;
- A testimony of financial support and institutional affiliation.
Target Groups and Beneficiaries
The curriculum is designed for veterinarians working in the area of animal health services, teaching and/or research.
First and foremost, the beneficiaries are those in the veterinary service sector, including Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, Ministry of Health, national and regional veterinary laboratories, national and regional animal health and public health institutes, institutes of higher education and research centers, veterinary clinics, and the Ethiopian farmers and pastoralists and their families.
MSc Program in Veterinary Obstetrics and Genecology
Graduates of Veterinary Obstetrics and Genecology are expected to:
- Be competent in the practice of animal production and health, including animal nutrition, animal breeding and animal health management focusing on dairy and poultry production systems;
- Be equipped with the knowledge and skills in handling and solving production and health problems in dairy and poultry production systems, technical planning and management of animal production and health research, teaching and development programs; and
- Exhibit creativity, social consciousness, professional ethics and a sense of responsibility to work towards national goals and development.
The curriculum is designed for animal science professionals and veterinarians working in the area of animal production and health services, teaching and/or research institutions.
Candidates who meet the following requirements may be admitted to the program in line with other Addis Ababa University rules and regulations governing graduate programs:
- A candidate must be a holder of a recognized degree in animal science or veterinary medicine;
- Preferably have two years of work experience after a BSc in Animal Science or DVM;
- Produce testimony of financial support;
- Pass entrance examinations.
- The duration of the program is two years. The first year is devoted to coursework offered at the College of Veterinary Medicine and Agriculture, Bishoftu.
- The second and final year is allotted for research work and, depending on the nature of the research project, students will be attached to selected national and international veterinary and related institutions in Ethiopia.
PhD Program in Veterinary Obstetrics and Genecology
The program will provide doctoral candidates PhD degree in Veterinary Obstetrics and Gynecology. The degree qualifies young scientists with educational experiences to compete at the national and international levels.
The purpose of the program is to provide thorough training to professionals in scientific method as it pertains to veterinary obstetrics and gynecology and detailed proficiency in the field of study. The specific objectives include:
- producing veterinary obstetricians who will be in a position to develop and execute research on related issues of domestic animal reproduction and production;
- training experts in multi-disciplinary research approach in line with national needs;
- To advance knowledge in veterinary science in general and in veterinary theriogenolgy in particular as well as to disseminate research outputs to the beneficiaries through biotechnological tools (AI, Embryo transfer etc.).
Addis Ababa University Department of Clinical studeis Graduate Profile
The graduates are expected to:
- Provide high quality professional services and develop strategies which assist the development of the livestock industry;
- Formulate strategies and research projects in animal reproduction and production science;
- Suggest appropriate reproductive health management and production options that will contribute to the improvement of the livelihood of the poor population of the country;
- Participate in teaching and research activities.
Addis Ababa University Department of Clinical studeis Admission Requirements
Doctoral degree applicants to the Obstetrics and Gynecology Ph.D. Program should have a DVM or Master’s degree in veterinary medicine or related animal sciences. The minimum grade point average (GPA) is 3.0 or very good for courses taken for a DVM degree or for an MSc degree.
The applicants with DVM degree need to take the full courses of the PhD program (including the MSc. Courses). Students with MVSc degree in veterinary medicine and MSc degree in related sciences will take only selected courses as indicated in table 1.
Duration of Study
The duration of the PhD program is three years for applicants with MVSc and MSc degree and four years for PhD candidates with DVM degree. It can be extended for six months under justifiable circumstances in both cases.
The program is structured in such a way that candidates with DVM degree will take core courses of the ongoing MSc program. Some more courses will also be taken in the form of topics or seminars in the area of study. Research topics shall be in the area of animal reproduction and production sciences.
Contacts of clinical studies
P.O. Box: 34, Bishoftu, Oromia, Ethiopia
Mobile Phone: +251-911-899435
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Quick links:
- Addis Ababa University AAU Student Portal Login
Addis Ababa University AAU Colleges and Institute
- Addis Ababa University Registration Date
- Addis Ababa University Graduation Requirements
- Addis Ababa University AAU Fees Structure
- Addis Ababa University Grading System.
- Addis Ababa University Academic Calendar
- Addis Ababa University Examination
- Addis Ababa University Courses Offered
- Addis Ababa University AAU Contact Address
- Addis Ababa University Undergraduate Admissions
- Addis Ababa University AAU Admission Requirements
- Addis Ababa University Graduate Admissions
- Addis Ababa University Readmissions
- Addis Ababa University AAU International Students Admissions
- Addis Ababa University Undergraduate Application Form
- Addis Ababa University Postgraduate Application Form
- Addis Ababa University AAU Application Form
- Addis Ababa University AAU Campuses
- Addis Ababa University AAU Intake
- Addis Ababa University AAU distance education
- Addis Ababa University AAU distance and continuing education
- Addis Ababa University AAU entrance exam
Addis Ababa University AAU extension program registration
- Addis Ababa University AAU Gpa Calculator
- Addis Ababa University AAU history
- Addis Ababa University AAU Job Vacancies
- Addis Ababa University AAU Masters Program Registration
- Addis Ababa University AAU new student registration
- Addis Ababa University AAU Online Registration
- Addis Ababa University AAU Online Application
- Addis Ababa University AAU Online Exam Results
- Addis Ababa University AAU ranking in africa
- Addis Ababa University AAU Admission List
- Addis Ababa University AAU World Ranking
- Addis Ababa University AAU scholarship
- Addis Ababa University Accommodation and Hostels