Addis Ababa University AAU Department of Preventive Medicine
AAU Department of Preventive Medicine – Check Below:
The Department of Preventive Medicine (DPM) at the School of Public Health (SPH) of Addis Ababa University (AAU) was established in January 2010 in line with the restructuring of the different health training categories under the auspices of the University in the College of Health Sciences. Although the then Department of Community Health was transformed in to the SPH in October 2007, the School was formally recognized and restructured in to three departments in 2010. Currently, the SPH is accountable to the College of Health Sciences. The DPM is one of the two departments at the SPH. There is a possibility that the current units will evolve into several departments based on the availability of human and financial resources.
The DPM has an MPH graduate study program in epidemiology, field epidemiology MPH and a PhD in epidemiology. Both MPH and PhD programs of the DPM specialize in epidemiology and Field Epidemiology Training Program (FETP) are competency-based training and service program in applied epidemiology and public health that builds the capacity to strengthen the surveillance and response system in countries where they are implemented. .
The DPM shares the Mission and Vision stated by the school of public health
AAU Department of Preventive Medicine Objectives
The primary aim of the DPM is the provision of graduate study and research training opportunities leading to MPH and PhD degrees in epidemiology, field epidemiology and other preventive medicine fields.
Training objectives: Train leaders in applied epidemiology and preventive medicine practice on problem solving issues of public health concern and strengthen capacity of other universities.
Research objectives: Conduct research activities on priority public health problems and improve communications and networking within the country and worldwide.
Service objectives: Provide epidemiologic services to national and sub-national health governmental, international and non-governmental organizations in Ethiopia.
AAU Department of Preventive Medicine Courses
Table 1. Courses delivered at the DPM.
|Epidemiology and Biostatistics||Year I Semester 1Basic Epidemiology Basic biostatistics
Health service management
Environmental health Health education
|Year I Semester 1IObservational studies
Generalized linear models
Categorical data analysis
Demography & Survival analysis
|Year II Semester 1Research methods
Year II Semester 1I
||Year I Semester 1Basic Epidemiology Basic biostatistics
Data Mgt and Software
Field Epidemiology Surveillance & epidemiology of priority diseases
|Year I Semester 1IPublic health methods & bio safety
Teaching and Mentoring
Communication & Scientific writing
Residency I( Field work)
|Year II Semester 1Advanced epidemiology
Health systems management and leadership
Year II Semester 1I
Residency II(Field work)
|PhD in Epidemiology||Year I Semester 1Int to Phlosophy
Health care ethics
Adv quantitative methods
Special topics in epidemiology
Year I Semester 1I
Seminar on special topics I
Thesis report I
|Year II Semester 1Seminar on special topics II
Thesis report II
Thesis research II
Year II Semester 1I
Seminar on special topics III
Thesis report III
Thesis research III
|Year IIIResearch Thesis|
The demand for epidemiology and biostatistics courses across the College of Health Sciences from undergraduate to post-graduate programs is enormous. Thus there are many courses specifically epidemiology, biostatistics and research methods delivered by the DPM for master and PhD students from another program like Physiology, Anatomy, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Nursing, and Medical Laboratory Technology and clinical residents in Dermatology, Neurology, Emergency medicine and Family medicine, depending on their respective curriculum.
Admission Requirements for MPH in epidemiology track
Prospective candidates need to have an MD in medicine or at least a bachelor degree in a health related profession (public health, nursing, environmental health or medical laboratory technology). In addition, they had to fulfill the requirements of the Addis Ababa University School of Graduate Studies for admission. Admission into the Program involves an examination administered by the Department of Community Health. The admission examination aimed at evaluating the candidates’ academic and attitudinal preparation to pursue a graduate program.
Admission Requirements for MPH in field epidemiology
The following shall be eligible for registration for the Master of Public Health in Field
- First degree holder in health and health related disciplines (health officer, nurse, medical doctor, environmental health officer, laboratory technology and
biological science with public health services)
- Candidates must be available full time for formal training, field work and related
Candidates must have a support letter from MoH or RHB.
Admission into the Program involves an examination administered and recommendation by the selection committee. The admission examination and interview aim at evaluating each candidate’s academic and attitudinal preparation to pursue a graduate program and undertake future assignments.
Admission Requirements for PhD in epidemiology
About 3-5 candidates are accepted into the PhD Program each year depending on the availability of resources to cover the whole training expenses. Funding may be by the government or any other organization. The following list summarizes the revised admission criteria currently in use:
- Prospective candidates must have at least a Master’s degree in Public Health or a related field with master’s thesis graded as good or above.
- Admission into the Program involves submission of a viable doctoral study plan prepared by the prospective candidate.
- An interview will be administered by the Department. The admission interview aims at evaluating the candidates’ academic potential, work experience and attitudinal preparation to pursue a postgraduate program at the doctoral level.
- Proof (in the form of a letter) of sustainable financial support and research funding covering the whole doctoral program must be presented unless the Department agrees for a fellowship post sponsored directly through it.
- At least one advisor must be appointed from the Department.
Letters of recommendation from three faculties must be presented
AAU Department of Preventive Medicine Academic Programs
The DPM is organized in to four units namely, Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Environmental Health and Behavioral Health Units. The units are headed by unit heads. All units have involved in MPH training and advising. The DPM has an MPH program with epidemiology track and runs the Field Epidemiology and Training Program (FETP) and PhD program in epidemiology track. The programs leading to MPH in Epidemiology and Field Epidemiology are offered for two years, while the program leading to PhD in Public Health with emphasis in epidemiology is offered for 3-5 years, and is designed for students with strong skill in computation.
Currently, the DPM has about 51 MPH and 10 PhD students pursuing graduate studies in epidemiology at the SPH (Table 2).
Current No. of students in MPH and PhD programs
Seminars & conferences (if any)
Table 3. Current No. of students in MPH and PhD programs
|Program||Year of study||No of students|
|Epidemiology track (23)||Year I||13|
|Field Epidemiology (28)||Year I||15|
|PhD (10)||Year I||3|
AAU Department of Preventive Medicine Descriptions
MPH in Epidemiology and Biostatistics Track
The general objective is to develop specialized professionals in epidemiology who are of high caliber and more academically oriented, who can serve the universities, research institutes, and government and non-governmental organizations engaged in disease investigations as well as health program monitoring and evaluation.
The program specifically aims a) To enable the graduate to recognize and understand the epidemiologic and bio-statistical approach in defining and estimating the occurrence of morbidity, mortality and other health related phenomena in human populations; b) To enable the graduate to understand the types, strengths and limitations of epidemiological study designs including the interpretation of epidemiological information; c) To enable the graduate to acquire epidemiologic as well as statistical tools for researching and analyzing issues of environmental health, pollution and sanitation; d) To enable the graduate to acquire tools of analyzing, monitoring and evaluating health programs, projects and related policies; e) To enable the graduate to acquire a broad outlook into the ecology and etiology of diseases; as well as the methods of assessing and intervening to prevent, treat and control them; f) To enable graduate to acquire practical skills in planning, implementing and reporting health research using both qualitative and quantitative research methods; g) To use common statistical software packages so as to design and analyze public health data; h) To get acquainted with demographic methods and analysis; and, i) To understand and interpret health service statistics including hospital utilization rates.
MPH in Field Epidemiology
MPH in Field Epidemiology, also named as Field Epidemiology Training Program (EFETP) is a specialty program Launched in 2009 as a joint venture between AAU-SPH and FMOH. It is a competency-based training and service program in applied epidemiology and public health that builds the capacity to strengthen the surveillance and response system in countries where they are implemented.
The goals of the program are to strengthen the Ethiopian public health system by contributing to the development of a robust disease surveillance system, effective and timely acute public health event detection and response (including outbreak detection and response), capacity in field epidemiology and public health laboratory, evidence-based decision making for public health practice and reduction in morbidity and mortality due to priority diseases.
Specific program objectives include a) To strengthen public health capacity by developing a cadre of health professionals with advanced skills in applied epidemiology, b) To strengthen national and regional capacity to respond to public health emergencies such as outbreaks, natural disasters, and other unusual public health events including those that could be a result of chemical or biological terrorism, c) To strengthen national surveillance systems, d) To strengthen laboratory participation in surveillance and field investigations, e) To improve communications and networking of public health practitioners and researchers in the country and throughout the region, and f) To contribute to research activities on priority public health problems
As trainees successfully completing the EFETP, they are expected to actively provide public health services to the community in which they are working. These broad service areas include: emergency preparedness and response; surveillance and health information systems; integration of laboratory and epidemiology services; public health assessment and interventions; and monitoring and evaluation.
PhD in Epidemiology
The objective of PhD in epidemiology training is to prepare high-level professionals that are essential for policy development and analysis, teaching in graduate public health training programs, and capable of designing and performing independent researcher that are relevant to direct policy, planning and implementation of health related interventions.
- To prepare those who demonstrate the communications skills necessary to provide effective leadership in public health policy and practice at the national, state, and local levels to improve public health practice within the community and other agencies.
- To prepare public health leaders capable of applying critical thinking and rigorous research methods to the complex practical problems facing practitioners and policy-makers in public health practice;
- Professionals with skills to provide the leadership to expand and strengthen the national and global public health systems;
- Analysts with knowledge and critical thinking skills to synthesize and translate the science-base to public health practice in general and to their specific area of specialization;
- Managers with demonstrate ability to design, conduct, and act on assessments and evaluations of public health problems and issues, and to provide leadership in policy development and assurance; and
- Professionals who are able to demonstrate a sophisticated understanding that public health issues are embedded in political, socioeconomic, and historical issues).
Tel: +251115524976, Mobile: +251-912-459707
Univ Email:- email@example.com
Office: Black Lion Hospital, 2nd floar
Rm No 201
- Addis Ababa University AAU Student Portal Login
Addis Ababa University AAU Colleges and Institute
- Addis Ababa University Registration Date
- Addis Ababa University Graduation Requirements
- Addis Ababa University AAU Fees Structure
- Addis Ababa University Grading System
- Addis Ababa University Academic Calendar
- Addis Ababa University Examination
- Addis Ababa University Courses Offered
- Addis Ababa University AAU Contact Address
- Addis Ababa University Undergraduate Admissions
- Addis Ababa University AAU Admission Requirements
- Addis Ababa University Graduate Admissions
- Addis Ababa University Readmissions
- Addis Ababa University AAU International Students Admissions
- Addis Ababa University Undergraduate Application Form
- Addis Ababa University Postgraduate Application Form
- Addis Ababa University AAU Application Form
- Addis Ababa University AAU Campuses
- Addis Ababa University AAU Intake
- Addis Ababa University AAU distance education
- Addis Ababa University AAU distance and continuing education
- Addis Ababa University AAU entrance exam
Addis Ababa University AAU extension program registration
- Addis Ababa University AAU Gpa Calculator
- Addis Ababa University AAU history
- Addis Ababa University AAU Job Vacancies
- Addis Ababa University AAU Masters Program Registration
- Addis Ababa University AAU new student registration
- Addis Ababa University AAU Online Registration
- Addis Ababa University AAU Online Application
- Addis Ababa University AAU Online Exam Results
- Addis Ababa University AAU ranking in africa
- Addis Ababa University AAU Admission List
- Addis Ababa University AAU World Ranking
- Addis Ababa University AAU scholarship
- Addis Ababa University Accommodation and Hostels